Darnestown Presbyterian Church has an active and varied Mission program that seeks to reach out to local, national, and international groups in need of support.
We are committed to giving more than 10% of our annual budget to missions. We also collect several special offerings throughout the year that directly support Presbyterian Missionaries across our nation and around the world and encourage members to respond to special appeals published by Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. The Darnestown Presbyterian Women are also dedicated to mission, supporting both local and international mission work.
I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.—Albert Schweitzer
Our committee is comprised of Elders, Deacons, and congregants and meets on the second Monday of the month at 7:30. All are welcome to attend a meeting at any time.
- Germantown HELP* offers delivery of an emergency three-day food supply, prescription assistance program and diapers to needy residents of Germantown, MD. It also coordinates the Holiday Giving Project for distribution of Thanksgiving and Christmas food baskets, in which DPC adopts 30 to 35 families each holiday season.
- Montgomery Hospice/Casey House* is the only facility in Montgomery County designed and built to provide
24 hourhospice care.
- National Alliance for Mental Illness-Montgomery County (NAMI MC) envisions a community where all persons affected by mental illness experience resiliency, recovery, acceptance, and wellness. NAMI MC provides comprehensive support, education, advocacy, and public awareness to promote recovery and so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives. At any time, you can CALL THE NAMI HELPLINE at 800-950-6264.
- Dwelling Place - The Dwelling Place supports homeless families in Montgomery County, MD, in their pursuit of self-sufficiency by providing housing, education, financial and life skills, and career enhancement.
- Interfaith Works is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency and a non-sectarian interfaith coalition of more than 165 affiliated congregations of diverse faiths, working together to meet the needs of the poor and homeless in Montgomery County, Maryland. Our programs shelter, clothe, and feed our neighbors in need and provide supportive services with the goal of helping them achieve self-sufficiency. Our mission is to pursue social justice with an emphasis on identifying and meeting the needs of the poor by leading and engaging Montgomery County’s faith communities in service, education, and advocacy.
- The Lord’s Table* is a group of volunteers sharing a common concern for disadvantaged people, working in cooperation with Montgomery County churches, synagogues, & community service organizations to feed the needy, offer referral services, and promote efforts to prevent hunger and homelessness.
- Mercy Health Clinic* is a nonsectarian, not-for-profit, community health care provider. The Clinic serves uninsured, low-income adult residents of Montgomery County, Maryland and has been committed to providing
high qualitymedical care, educational support andpharmaceuticals to eligible patients since its inception in 2000. MHC recognizes the multi-cultural diversity of its patients and pledges to maintain and develop services and programs that best meet the current and future health careneeds of this constituency.
- Stepping Stones Shelter* provides homeless men, women
andchildren the opportunity to regain their independence by offering food and shelter in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. Stepping Stones Shelter provides hope for the future, strengthens family values and enables self-sufficiency.
- Winter Growth* - Assists health-impaired older and disabled adults with services designed to support independence, enhance self-esteem and promote the dignity of each individual.
- Rise Against Hunger - Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) is driven by the vision of a world without hunger. Our mission is to end hunger in our lifetime by providing food and life-changing aid to the world’s most vulnerable and creating a global commitment to mobilize the necessary resources.
- Comfort Cases - Thousands of children enter the foster care system each year. Most carry little more than the clothes on their backs. Comfort Cases was founded on a mission to provide the essentials to these brave children on their journey to find
Regional & national
National Capital Presbytery
Presbyterian Theological Fund
- Heifer International* - Heifer International is a charity organization working to end hunger and poverty around the world by providing livestock and training to struggling communities.
IMARA - Empowering Kenyan women through education to build a self-sufficient future for themselves, their children and their community. For images from the 2014 Imara Mission Trip, click here. Listen to a message delivered at DPC in
January,2013 by the Executive Director of IMARA here.
- Opportunity International* – a micro-finance organization that provides opportunities for people in chronic poverty to transform their lives. Recognizing that the large majority of the
world’spoorest are women,and that they contribute decisively to the well-being of their families, Opportunity International makes it a priority to support programs serving the particular needs of women.
Supported by both DPC and DPW*